Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The time has come

In less than forty eight hours, we will be on our way to Istanbul, ready to start this year’s Lifecycle Challenge. Our luggage is nearly packed, bikes dismantled and securely stored in boxes. All set to go. Except that I have a heavy heart. Somehow, not making it to the finish, on two wheels, has lost its importance.

In less than a week I have lost two friends – Cliff, in a tragic hit and run accident whilst training for Lifecycle, and Jenny, who passed away this morning, whilst riding her beloved mare. Two friends, who practiced and loved the same sport as I do.

I was half way through writing my weekly blog post, which was never published, when I got the tragic news of fellow Lifecyclist Cliff Micallef’s passing last Thursday. Ironically I had just finished a paragraph where I was describing how Cliff was helping me up Nadur hill, after having cycled up the very same hill a couple of times in the sweltering heat.

Cliff was one of the best cyclists in the group but he did not mind staying with us, the less experienced cyclists to give us a helping hand – either by literally pushing us up a hill or giving us tips on how to make use of the best possible cycling techniques. Our trip to Gozo seems so far away. Another dimension.

Jenny, on the other hand had just returned from her holidays. This morning as I left the stables, I saw her car. Her lesson was just after mine, I was in a rush so I did not have time to stop and chat and get an update on her holiday. I got to know Jenny through my love of equestrian sports. She was very involved in the sport, not only by practicing dressage and show jumping but was always very hands on during competitions and events. I remember how she had accompanied me in the ambulance to hospital when I fell off my horse during a jumping lesson back in January. Her concern did not stop there, as she had taken an interest in my recovery, encouraging me to get back on the saddle and slowly build up my confidence again.

Obviously giving up on Lifecycle is not an option but it is very difficult for me to focus at the moment. But as my friend Chris said, letting my self roam in unproductive moods or losing drive and focus in a Challenge of this kind, will only help endanger myself and my fellow team members. What’s more, the already concerned people around me will only agonise more whilst I am away.

I am sure that Jenny and Cliff would not want that out of me. I just need to try to let my mind return unhindered to the Challenge, visualizing the route to hopefully successfully complete the challenge successfully.

In the past 17 weeks, I have cycled over 2445 kilometres in 120 hours but my efforts have also seen me raise around €6,500 in funds. I should now be ready to go.

This will be my last blog post for the next two weeks but promise to return in two weeks time, to continue the last chapter of my Lifecycle experience.

For Cliff and Jenny

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the challenge Maria. You are one of the most determined individuals I've ever met, and I have a lot of respect for you. I'll look forward to reading your next blog about the moment you crossed the finish line. I wish you and the whole team good luck and good fortune, I'll be thinking about you all. :-)

    ReplyDelete