Friday, May 1, 2009

Crash Boom Bang!

A sultry sun and a cold wind greets me as I cycle up towards Mater Dei. A far cry from yesterday’s warm and sunny day but, I think to myself, that such weather could be a blessing. After all I’d rather undergo training in cooler conditions – at least for the first couple of weeks. We will have time to cycle in the heat and humidity I reckon.
 
As I get to our meeting point at Mater Dei’s entrance, I meet Nigel. I cannot help but jokingly ask him whether he has taken his breakfast, following last week’s episode.  Slowly other cyclists start to zoom up the hill. Some looking quite fresh others looking as if they haven’t got into training mode yet and still recovering from a late night.
 
Briefing starts at 7am. Alan introduces Carolyn who has just joined the back up team as a physiotherapist. Carolyn already has Lifecycle experience, having been part of the back up team during the crossing of the Arctic Circle.  Following up on the previous Friday’s meeting, Alan stresses the importance of developing an efficient fat burning system and  to progressively build up the strength in the muscles so that as we progress with our training our bodies can cope with the intensity of such activity.  The name of the game right now is building endurance.
 




Alan briefing the team prior to the day's ride


Alan also explains Drafting. Drafting is a technique wherein cyclists go in single file to block the wind for the other cyclists behind them, taking turns at being the one in front. The trick, Alan explained, is to remain as close as possible to the bike in front of you, keeping a constant speed.  Alan stresses that this technique requires concentration, precision, and good communication otherwise it could lead to a potential chain reaction accident. 
 
This technique will be part of our training today, which will take place mainly on the Zebbug by Pass. I groan inwardly as most of my weekly training took place on this road. Unfortunately boring routes will be part of the stress that we will have to cope with. Malta being a small island means that we are limited for route variety. The plan today is to continue to gradually build up our aerobic base. Increase our mileage and getting a feel of what it will be like to be sitting on the bike for longer periods of time. Feeling comfortable being on our own should we, for some reason or another, get isolated from the rest of the group.
 






Off we go!



Guided by the backup team we leave Mater Dei and head towards Mosta, following the same route we took the previous week.   However this time we turn towards Rabat. The road surface is relatively good and traffic quiet. The road leading up towards Zebbug is a steady incline albeit not steep. Shifting gears I realize that my muscles haven’t warmed up fully and admittedly my pace slows down slightly but I still maintain a constant speed.
 
Upon reaching the roundabout close to the Military Cemetery on the road leading to Ta’Qali, Alan encourages us to form groups and start drafting. I team up with Simon, Lenny and Carolina. With Lenny in the lead we head towards the bottom of Saqajja hill. Here one starts to realize the level of concentration one requires for this technique as you really have to get close to the rear wheel of the cyclist in front of you!.
 















As we get to the first roundabout, which leads towards Mtarfa, Rabat or Zebbug, Mario from the backup team signals us to go towards Zebbug until the roundabout that leads into Siggiewi. From there we are to keep looping until we are told to stop or proceed to another location.















 
Whilst we do our best to keep drafting, it is not easy to keep the same tempo especially in the early stages of training where we are still figuring out many things ourselves – let alone our cycling mates’ performance.  Although we keep this rhythm for quite some time eventually the group breaks up.  I try to keep my cadence as stable as possible, changing to lower gears when the incline gets a bit steeper and vice versa. A downhill bit is always welcome, enabling me to stretch a bit, taking a standing position on the pedals.





 


As the morning progresses, so does the amount of traffic and careless drivers. Unfortunately cycling lanes only exist at short intervals and lengths and they either stop abruptly or else are used as parking bays by some irresponsible pick-up van owner or used for a leisurely Sunday walk by some pedestrian who decides that the Zebbug by-Pass is a great location to get some fresh air. Does it require a degree in rocket science to understand that these lanes are for cyclists?  Whether it is lack of logic, ignorance or inconsideration the end result can be potentially fatal as it gives cyclists no option but to cycle on open roads anyway.
 





















Cycling on the road leading up to Mtarfa, I find myself crashing onto the pavement, dangerously close to an electricity pole.  What caused it?  An inconsiderate driver, who decided to come up close and personal with my bike. This was totally unnecessary and uncalled for as I was driving close to the pavement, thus not blocking the driver’s lane, moreover the road is a dual carriage way and traffic is usually flowing at this time of day, so it wasn't a case of me blocking the road. I do realize that some cyclists do tend to drive in the middle of the road, and this can be very frustrating for drivers however that does not condone such behaviour.
 
To add insult to injury the driver just drove past, as if nothing had happened, leaving me to nurse a graze on my elbow and knee. Although my wrist feels slightly sprained, I just pick up the bike and start pedalling again. Fuelled by my fury, I feel my adrenaline pumping even more. Heading back towards Zebbug I realize that blood is flowing from my knee so I decide to stop and pour some water over it.  As I am trying clean the wound as best as I can, Shirley from the backup team stops to see what happened. She immediately informs Alan who promptly dispatches Carolyn and Francesca, our physiotherapists, to give first aid. Catching up with me they attempt to stop me but I insist on continuing with the ride, annoyed that I have fallen behind fro the rest of the group and affected my timing. Carolyn is not surprised. She knows me and my determined nature well.  In reality it is nothing serious. I have had worse falls. It’s more fright and a bruised ego.
 
The ride reaches it’s end soon after and we stop for a coffee in Zebbug. I put some more water on the wound and have a very welcome Espresso. Adrenaline is still pumping through my body as Alan gives us a short de-brief on today’s ride. Soon after we are ‘dismissed’ but most of us keep chatting, comparing notes on what affected us the most in today’s ride.
 






















Memento of today's ride!

Francesca is still concerned about me and offers to give me a lift home but I am fine and can go the short distance back to Lija. Still concerned, she finds out that one of the cyclists lives in Attard and arranges for us to cycle down together.   At least one good thing came out of the fall. It gave me the opportunity to talk to other cyclists and start getting to know them even better.

 
Another week of training is over and overall it is a very positive experience. I am enjoying Lifecycle. I just hope that motorists out there would show a bit more concern towards our safety!
 
Photos courtesy of Ray Pace, Carolyn Bonello

No comments:

Post a Comment