Tuesday, May 5, 2009

DRIVING LESSON No: 1 - The use of Indicators

The use of indicators on a car's dashboard is for the sole purpose of indicating (showing) to other drivers one's chosen direction of travel. It is not an aerobic exercise that requires stamina or strength and thus can be performed by all with the minimum of effort.

Why, are you asking yourselves, this sarcasm? After all sarcasm is considered to be the lowest form of wit since it is a bitter form of irony intended to taunt its target.

What has it got to do with my training for the Lifecycle Challenge? In all truth and honesty, rather than taunting ‘my target’ it is more the venting of my frustration, which I think I can safely say is that of many other cyclists on Maltese roads, caused by lack of regard to us by some drivers.

The more I spend time cycling on our roads, the more I realize the substantial amount of morons out there that declare themselves to be drivers. The Highway Code should be renamed Law of the (Maltese) Jungle since quite a few drivers have adopted this stance. Perhaps not always through fault of their own but the situation is as it is.

Take this morning for example. Am out for my daily ride. Driving up a narrow road in Lija, I stop to wait for a car reversing from a garage. Fair enough, the road is narrow and there is not much one can do except wait. So far so good. Behind me is another car also waiting. Once the reversing car drives off I wait for the car behind me to continue driving. Logic – I am slower than he is, so why hold him up. But does he drive on? No! He just starts dishing out expletives and swearing at me because I am blocking his way into the garage. Like I am supposed to read minds! There was no indication of him turning right so how could I know what he was planning on doing?

Another instance. Car coming out from a side street in Rabat. Position of the car indicates that it will turn left. But no. Again with no sign whatsoever, it decides to take a right turn. Straight into little invisible me! This was at 7am. It was daylight. I was wearing bright clothes.

So considering the circumstances I feel I am allowed the pleasure of being sarcastic....at least for today!

PS No cyclists were hurt during the making of this post! :)

2 comments:

  1. As a runner, cyclist & motor-cyclist, I am fully aware that indicators are like Christmas lights - to be used on rare, special occasions, pretty to look at when they blink but pretty useless to help understand a person's true turning intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been driving in the UK for about 2 years and had only one argument on the road since. (with a polish guy). Last time I was in Malta I had 6 arguments in the first 4 hours of driving. Most drivers are completely mental and there's total disregard for other motorists’ safety, let alone the safety of pedestrians and cyclists. I feel for you Mar!!

    ReplyDelete