Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Adrenaline Rush


It’s been three hours since I arrived home from my 120kms/6 hour Sunday ride and the adrenaline is still pumping. Although my legs are almost numb and I am tired I can still feel a lot of positive energy in my body. It has been a good day overall. Good spirits all around. Good team work and support from the start. What more can a Lifecyclist ask for I say to myself? 

Starting off at 4am, Robert and I clocked 42 kilometres prior to meeting our fellow cyclists at the usual meeting point at 645am. Although a 4am start meant that I missed out on a fun Saturday night out with friends, it gave me enough time to wake up properly, warm and hype myself up in preparation for the day's route. I admit I am not a morning person. It takes me ages to start focusing and stop yawning – something that Pierre pointed out to me one morning earlier on in the training.

Reaching Mater Dei, I find some cyclists already there. Some warming up and doing stretching exercises, others being seen to by the physiotherapists, other checking out their tyres for sufficient pressure and others just trying to figure out why they had wounds on their hands.

Tony stretching his muscles before the ride

Physio Carolyn helping Lenny with stretching exercises

Yes, Nigel has become an endearing source of entertainment. Showing his ‘war’ wounds to the rest of us we eventually realise that the wounds were not made through means of some spectacular bike stunt but by applying hair removal cream to his legs with his bare hands! We cannot stop teasing him – but he is a good sport and takes the teasing in his stride.

Nigel's "war" wounds"

It’s time for Alan’s briefing. He points out that preparation does not only consist of getting on the bike and going out for our scheduled training rides. It also consists of regularly checking that our bikes are in order. Tyre pressure, chains well oiled, batteries in our lights etc etc. Alan also recommended that we keep a daily diary. Jotting down what we have eaten, mileage covered, routes taken, heart rate, average speed and feel good factor. The latter will help us understand where we feel good and where we don’t which will help us identify our strengths and weaknesses.


Lifecyclists paying attention during Briefing

I cannot agree more on this. Ever since I started Lifecycle training, I kept a diary on a spreadsheet. As I went along I started adding relevant information and like that I can see the progress I am making. The only thing I didn’t have was the Feel Good Factor which I included in this week’s template. In Alan’s words – Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance!



Prior to setting off a group of us agree to cycle in a group together. We are more or less on the same level and we agree to see how we get on. Ideally we keep in a group that way we can keep each other company and at the same time ensure that no one cycles on their own especially when abroad and where roads are totally unfamiliar. 

Setting off with Tony, Simon, Nicholas, Nigel, Ian and Clifford we hit the B’Kara by Pass, where Cliff, who is the most experienced of the lot starts to give us tips on how to draft and supervising us in the process. I must say, that whilst being in the front is harder work, I feel safer since I do not feel too comfortable being so close to the back wheel of the cyclist in front of me. Reaching the Mgarr roundabout we proceed to Burmarrad where we change formation. I go to the back, and the lack of wind hitting me directly helps me to improve on my speed and make me feel more comfortable. Reaching the Targa Gap downhill, we all break loose, some of us reaching speeds of 66kms an hour – well it is a downhill isn’t it. Make the most of it!



Our loop today starts at the St.Paul’s Bay roundabout which leads to the Xemxija By Pass. From there we take the road up to Mistra Village and this is where the hard work starts. Having driven through this road a million and one times, it is only when cycling that one realises how steep it is. Ian, Tony and I pick up a steady pace, reaching speeds of approximately 12km/h. slowly and surely, soon after we reach the Belleview roundabout where we are greeting by Ray and Soner, cheering us on and directing us towards Mizieb – the first killer hill of the day has been climbed and I am feeling great - no need for CPR!

Going down through Mizieb, we tackle another steep but short climb then it is mostly flat ground till we reach the Xemxija by Pass again. Here we find Mario, Francesca and Carolyn all encouraging us and giving us directions. Once again we keep a steady pace and go towards Splash and Fun. The Coast Road is windy and we find ourselves having to use up more strength as the wind is not in our favour. However I find myself reaching average speeds of around 21kms an hour which is very motivating. 

Reaching Xemxija Hill for the second loop admittedly is tougher as the energy levels are slowly depleting. I have been cycling for about four hours now but I don’t feel exceptionally tired. In fact I the good mood I have is translating into a very big smile and into a lot of positive energy. I am enjoying this ride very much.


Having done two loops we are instructed to head towards Balluta, Sliema where the Group ride will end. Hitting the Bahar ic-Caghaq hill we are faced again with the wind and inconsiderate drivers who insist on driving dangerously close to our bikes even though this is a wide road and there is enough space for everyone. It is a pity to see such lack of consideration, especially when there is a cycling lane in that particular stretch of road. Drivers in Malta have a lot to learn when it comes to etiquette, consideration and safety.

Around 1015am we reach Balluta. Ray, Shirley, Francesca and Soner are there to greet us. Francesca urges us to start stretching – something that I still have to get into I must admit. It is so important as it can prevent injuries which at this stage of training are really not something we want. After stretching we have what has become a customary coffee – most cyclists have ended up with this "habit". I must say it is a good way of socializing and mingling as it is in these moments where we have time to talk between us, share experiences and compare notes.




My GPS is showing that I have clocked 105 kilometres. 15 more to go. The ones who did not have an early start are more or less half way through. I must confess, that starting earlier works better for me since now all I have to do is cycle towards home where a soothing shower and a nice lunch awaits me.

As I reach home, with a huge grin on my face, the feel good factor is at its peak. 


I look forward to the next training session now.


Photos courtesy of  Ray Pace, pacemedia.tv



1 comment: