Thursday, June 4, 2009

All in the mind

One doesn’t have to study psychology in depth to understand the power of the mind.  The mind plays a vital role in the way we handle our day to day challenges. Our thoughts, perceptions, emotions, imagination and will are all managed through our minds.

What on earth is she talking about you might be asking yourself.

Participation in Challenges such as Lifecycle are not just about being physically prepared but also about mental preparation. The power of the mind should never be underestimated.  Concentration, confidence, control and commitment are the main mental qualities considered to be the most important for successful performance in such activities.

Whilst commitment, concentration and control are the ‘easiest’ to achieve, confidence is something that I believe most people struggle with. At least I can definitely speak for my self on this.  I often have doubts on my capabilities and when these doubts creep in I find that my performance suffers.

This doesn’t mean that we are expected to be confident all the time. Be it stress at work, struggling to cope with family obligations combined with the hectic training schedule do contribute towards having our off days. Whether it is related to sports or even just one's appearance we all go through moments of lack of confidence. Whilst having a bad hair day does not have dire consequences, having a negative attitude in events such as Lifecycle can have upsetting consequences.

Take for example three weeks ago. I woke up in a bad mood. Don't ask me why. I just did not feel like waking up at 6am on a Sunday morning to go and cycle 60kms. Going round Xemxija and the Coast Road for a couple of times to clock up the miles and build stamina was not something I felt like. I admit. I just sulked and walked out of the house in one of the foulest moods ever. Needless to say that particular training session is best forgotten.

Fast forward three weeks. Sunday 31st May saw most of the Lifecyclists take part in the longest cycle ever. Going over the route, sent by email two days before just kept me picturing all the hills we had to climb. I already had a sinking feeling in my stomach.

But, that particular morning I woke up motivated. The motivation being the result of the fitness test I took the previous day. Although I need to improve, my fitness levels are not as bad as I thought and this had such a positive effect on me.


This doesn't mean that I wasn't tired by the time I cycled up Burmarrad hill for the third time in the mid-morning heat. This does not mean that I wasn't looking forward to heading towards the beach in the afternoon because I was.  

But,  I did it all with a smile on my face, without breaking into a sweat.....no pun intended




1 comment: