Thursday, July 9, 2009

Living on the edge

The inevitable has happened.

It was not a matter of “if” but “when” unfortunately.

John, a fellow Lifecyclist, was injured on Friday. Not through recklessness from his part but from the part of a motorist who decided to change direction without indicating his intentions.

The result? John's leg is in plaster. His ligaments damaged A long awaited trip to watch U2 in concert ruined. His hopes of participation in this year's Betfair Lifecycle event dashed. Not to mentioned a written off bicycle.

Sad, considering all the effort he had put into training till now.

Some weeks ago I had written about the recklessness that we cyclists encounter on the roads. I commented that an accident is bound to happen. Whilst my observations where supported by a large number of readers, a fellow cyclist commented “ you guys need to stop worrying about traffic and start enjoying it :)”. I was totally not amused.

Such a comment is expected from someone who thrives on being a couch potato not a seasoned cyclist who competes regularly in related events. Trying to depict me as a neurotic cyclist who is afraid to be on the road is not something I would have expected from this person. I like to consider myself to be a confident cyclist who is conscious of the irresponsible driving that takes place on our road.

Anyway, I am not going into another debate on the safety of our roads. I could keep going on till I am blue in the face.

The reality is what it is though. Drivers, who actually show some sort of consideration, towards us cyclists, are few and far between and can be counted on one hand.

It is such a shame, that conscientious cyclists, like John, who try to enjoy their sport are risking so much just for the sake of a few immature and irresponsible drivers.

1 comment:

  1. You couldn't have summed up all our thoughts over these past few weeks...as you said - it was a matter of "when" and not "If" and unfortunately John was the victim. I had people commenting even after this accident and i am really in disgust having to counter all the accusations levelled at cyclists.

    ReplyDelete