Thursday, July 9, 2009

With a little help from my friends


Challenges like Lifecycle really bring out people’s real worth. It is easy to smile and be happy when all is going according to plan.

But when things get tough?

What happens when you feel you have reached your breaking point?

What happens when you are injured and cannot cope with training?

What happens when you are just trying to cope with personal issues?

Last Sunday, in my opinion, saw me facing the toughest training day yet. Not having slept much the previous night, not through late night partying, indulging in rich food or drink, but simply because I had too much on my mind, waking up at 530am was already a chore.

I knew what I was in for. I had read and reread Alan’s email describing the route quite a few times to make sure I understood where I had to go. I kept seeing the words Mizieb, San Martin hill, 2 kilometres climb scroll by in my imagination. The weatherman had predicted high temperatures, so although we would be starting relatively early, completing the scheduled 160kms would have to be done in the intense midday sun.

My subdued demeanor quickly grabs the attention of Carolyn, Maria, Carolina and Steph who rally round me to see what's up. I guess the vibe was strong enough to keep the rest of the guys away as soon as they saw five women having a serious conversation.


During briefing Alan tells us that he expects us to do the loop at least three times. We would be stopping at a checkpoint in Xemxija and are advised to look for the specifically put up signs. These will be the signs that we would need to watch out for during the Challenge. They will be welcomed signs as we will know that we are on the right track.

When cycling for long distances, I always keep my friend Tatyana’s words in mind. Start slow and build up. An approach that I have found works well for me. I am usually one of the last to leave. I have no intention of cycling fast especially in days like this, when my energy reserves are very low. I am definitely not going to waste the little I have on the B’Kara by Pass.

I start cycling with Robert, Carolina, Simon and Tony. Carolina, who has sensed my subdued nature without saying much, tells me to focus my energies on my legs. I admit I am quite skeptical but I have nothing to lose. The closer I get to the first hill the more nauseated I feel. A thousand and one thoughts are going through my mind. Only one is related to cycling though.

As we reach Mizieb Hill, I feel the butterflies taking up all my energy, so forget channeling it into my legs. Playing around with the gears I start climbing slowly. Within seconds I feel the lactic acid building in my legs. I try to breathe to get a steady flow of oxygen. I increase my cadence. Slowly the feeling starts subsiding.

As we reach the first part of the hill, we see Edward waiting for us, cheeky grin and all. I jokingly ask him to quickly take my bike and take me up to the end of Mizieb Hill. He laughs obligingly knowing well that I would rather crawl up than hitch a lift.

The downhill part is exhilarating. My GPS registers a speed of 42km/hr. Slowly this figure starts going down and the % incline starts going up, reaching a maximum of 12%. Shifting gears to increase cadence, I focus on keeping a constant rhythm, ensuring the right posture. I can see Carolina looking back in my direction and shouting “use your energies” as we go up the steep hill leading to the Mellieha by Pass.

It takes me around 15 minutes to do the whole climb, from the Ghajn Tuffieha by Pass. Reaching the top of the hill I find Soner, Alan and Shirley. Whilst Soner and Shirley are giving words of encouragement I see Alan looking attentively at my cycling skills. I feel under pressure at that moment but I know it is being done to ensure that we tackle the whole thing properly.
As I pedal fast to try to reach the other cyclists, I do not think of San Martin hill, which is what awaits us next. I just enjoy the downhill ride, wary of the cars that are whizzing past, oblivious to most of us, as if we are some invisible creature.

San Martin, although 2 kilometres long with inclines reaching around 10%, seems less hard than Mizieb. As the early morning becomes mid-morning the intensity of the sun is being felt more and more. Building up confidence, I try to cycle standing up using the honking technique. I manage a few metres then a car edges past me and I quickly sit down to maintain balance but soon attempt this technique again and start to enjoy the benefits of using it.


It is amazing how much extra power is generated when using this technique, especially when climbing a steep hill. It also gives the backside a rest and allows the blood circulation to get to parts that may be going numb. So it is very important to get confident using the technique especially when we will be cycling for longer periods of time.

I suddenly realise that I am cut off from the rest of the group. I am not sure if anyone is behind me. I keep pedaling, eager to reach another downhill and hopefully another bunch of cyclists. As I near Mizieb hill, I find Robert and Carolina waiting for me, looking back to see that I am ok. Whilst I am cycling regularly with these guys, I do not expect them to hold back because of me, although I probably would had I been in their shoes.
With his cheeky grin, Robert encourages me to go on. One down two to go we joke. Energies. Energies. I decide some music will give me some momentum. Switching on my iPod, and putting a headphone in one ear to ensure that I can hear nearby sounds, I choose some workout music which helps me keep the rhythm.


This time round, I feel the energies in my legs. It was equally tough but the mind must have settled into this grueling exercise. Again focusing on my cadence and breathing I reach the top of the hill and head down, at substantial speed towards Xemxija where we see our first Checkpoint sign.

The ice-cream kiosk does not entice me to indulge in an ice-cream however I do treat myself to a large bottle of cold water, some of which I pour over my head to cool down. Robert and Simon like the idea and soon follow suit! Copycats!

Alan walks up to see how I am faring. We are half way in the route. We still have to do San Martin twice and Mizieb once, before we reach our final group stop at Mgarr. I don’t want my muscles to cool down so Robert and I set off, trying to keep a pace that is comfortable for both of us. As I progress I feel an improvement in my pace. I feel less in awe of the steep inclines.

As we reach Mgarr, I am parched. The late morning sun is strong. The few drops of water left in my bottle are so hot I could just chuck in a tea bag and make myself a cup of tea. Looking at the stats on my GPS, I am happy to see that I have increased my average speed from the start of the morning. Sitting down for a welcome coffee and snack, Tony, Carolina, Simon, Robert and I exchange experiences with Stephanie and Francesca, who in the meantime is tending to my sore knees.


Although I am feeling tired, I feel I am ready to tackle the remaining 60kms, going through flat roads as Alan advised. Robert, Simon, Carolina and I set off to complete the remaining kilometres. I get home at 230pm. As I put my bike into the garage, take out the GPS and put my helmet on the shelf, I realise that today’s feel good factor was possible with a little help from my friends!

Photos courtesy of Ray Pace

4 comments:

  1. Good account of the ride....and the support from friends. I had sensed your problem prior to capturing the photo.....KEEP FOCUSED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Maria

    Just wanted to say very very well done for having successfully managed to complete this tough challenge!!!!!

    Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o)))

    Ruth and Charlo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Maria

    Just wanted to say very, very well done for having successfully managed to complete this tough challenge!!!!!!!

    Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!

    Ruth and Charlo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Maria

    Just wanted to say very, very well done for having successfully managed to complete this tough challenge!!!!!!!

    Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!

    Ruth and Charlo

    ReplyDelete