Friday, July 17, 2009

Tomorrow is another day

I had to practically drag myself out of my best friends’ Nicola and Kirill's wedding reception at 10pm on Saturday night, knowing that I would suffer the consequences the next day if I stayed on a bit more. But honestly, I cannot cope with a nine hour cycling session with just four hours of sleep.

And so to bed. Setting the alarm clock, I calculate that I have approximately five and a half hours. Not a lot.

4:30am I jump out of bed knowing that if I pressed the Snooze button I would fall asleep and wake up late…….very late. My breakfast consists of a banana. Am sure Alan would raise an eyebrow seeing me eat just that. Not enough carbs but I just couldn’t get out of bed those minutes earlier to prepare something more nutritious. I am simply trying to clock in as many sleeping miles as I am trying to clock cycling miles at this point in time. I chuck in another two bananas in my pocket, hoping they won’t get too mushy by the time I attack them.

Robert and I meet at 5am. The plan is to clock some mileage and warm up before the group training session. We decide on some flat terrain so we opt for the Ta’Xbiex, Gzira, Sliema, St. Julian’s seafront. Although both of us hate doing loops with a passion the route is very pleasant and relatively quiet at that time of day bar an occasional reveler going home.

Alan’s email was very short and sweet, just advising us that we would be doing the Valletta Circuit. We are sure that the route will see us climb the hill from Sa Maison to the Police Headquarters, following the ring road all around Valletta and climbing up Crucifix Hill up to Floriana heading back towards the Msida sea front. Am not overly worried about this route as I have cycled it quite often. Having said that I never attempted to do it more than once so I would have to see how I would fare.

Prior to briefing, whilst waiting for all cyclists to arrive, Carolyn and Francesca our two physios start coming around us making us do proper stretching. It is so important to do these exercises as they minimize injury and at times we often underestimate their importance.


After the usual briefing, wherein Alan explains the route I was expecting, we take the usual five minutes for the usual banter, exchange of friendly insults and group photos.

For a change we do not take the B’Kara By Pass. I know it might sound trivial but even a small change in route can be so motivating! One by one we head towards Msida. The usual ‘fast boys’, as Lenny likes to describe the really fast ones, fly off. This has stopped bothering me by now. In the initial training stages I would either get upset or else try to catch-up. Now I just stick to my pace, pushing myself until I get a good feel good factor.





The Valletta Circuit is not as hard as I expected to be. Five laps around the coast line later we meet up at The Dog or as it is commonly known the Msida Bocci Club. Although I feel quite well I still get my knees seen to by Carolyn. Biofreeze massaged into them make them feel much better.




Robert has problems with his bike. His back brake is stuck making it very difficult for him to cycle properly. So instead of joining the rest of the group to continue the remaining 100kms, we head for my house so that he can take my spare bike. Like that he can continue with the training especially today, where the long sessions have become very important.

Simon joins us and together we decide to head North and do a few laps on the Bahar ic-Caghaq Coast Road. Whilst we may know the Coast road like the back of our hand, it provides us with a good opportunity to practice our drafting techniques. A bit of wind helps us appreciate the importance of such a technique.

Lunch time and the heat is becoming unbearable. We have only covered 20kms and we have another 60kms to go. We stop for a quick bite to eat in Sliema, relishing the shade and the cooling feeling of the ice-cream we permit ourselves to have. We set off towards the southern part of the island following the coast as much as possible. Although we do not encounter many uphills, our maximum speed is going down. The heat and fatigue obviously getting to us.

Fatigue is something we must learn to handle as our reflexes become slower especially when driving in heavy traffic. We must also consider the fact that when in Turkey and Syria we will be cycling on the right side of the road. Robert is great at keeping us alert, making us aware if we start cycling in the middle of the road.

Arriving at Marsaxlokk we stop for a ‘checkpoint’. A large ftira with tomatoes washed down with ice-cold water is a welcome break. It is now 3pm and we have another 40kms to go. Although it would have been nice to wake up earlier and cover more ground prior to group training this is providing a more realistic simulation of what we are to face abroad.

I must admit that my batteries are discharging fast. Simon suddenly gets a surge of energy and I find it difficult to keep up with him. We joke about wanting to know what he has ingested so that we can have some ourselves. Possibily it is the motivation that home is getting closer and closer.

Cycling through Siggiewi I get a phone call from my mum, asking me where I was. Although her question was legitimate and out of concern all I could reply was “Where do you think I am in the Bahamas, getting a suntan?” A few seconds later my other half calls to ask the same question. Nevertheless he gets the same reply. Such is my frustration at knowing that my loved ones are sitting by a pool, under the shade of an umbrella whilst I am cycling in the sweltering heat on roads that are bumpy and too familiar.

I finally make it home at 5pm, having covered around 180kms in around 9 and half hours of cycling. All I am looking forward to is a cold shower and my air-conditioned room. Luxuries that I can enjoy now but not in Turkey and Syria.

But I am living one day at a time. Tomorrow is another day!


Photos courtesy of Ray Pace

No comments:

Post a Comment